This toffee is simply amazing. I saw it on a blog and had to have it. I feel like my mom or someone may have made it before. Regardless, I hadn't had anything like it in a while and it sounded so good.
Peanut Butter Toffee With Saltines
1/4 lb (one sleeve) saltines (the salted ones)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chips
1/3 cup peanut butter
Chopped M&M’s (or topping of your choice)
-Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper (the pan needs to have a lip to it or these things will leak all over your oven.)
- Place saltines in pan, salted side up. Leave just a bit of space between crackers so the toffee with encase the entire cracker when done.
- Smash M&M's.
- Mine looked like this....
- Bring sugar and butter to a boil in a saucepan. Boil for 3 minutes (time the boiling after the whole thing starts boiling, not just the edges). And, resist the urge to stir it.
- Pour boiling mixture over crackers. Place in oven for 5 minutes.
- Put dollops of peanut butter on top and return to the oven for 1 minute.
- Spread melted peanut butter over mixture with spatula.
- Top with chocolate chips. Then, put back into the oven for 1 minute.
- Use spatula to spread the chocolate chips (which have melted).
- Top with M&M pieces (or whatever you come up with).
- Place in freezer for at least one hour.
- Once these are set, crack them into individual pieces.
I used too much peanut butter. I didn't measure it out, I just took spoon fulls out of the jar to make my dollops. Because of this, mine were too peanut butter-ey on the bottom. Therefore, gets on your hands and stuff. I think I could have made a little extra butter/sugar mix to help this at the bottom of the pan.
Here is where I found the recipe :)